Saturday, April 14, 2012

Is there a hard fast rule that says an older woman shouldn't get a perm on their hair & hig

I have very strong, "Coarse" hair (like Indian, Asian or Eastern) ...very course...and I CAN'T STAND my hair straight. It sticks in my eyes, and my face. But, it started going grey when I was 13...and not all over. So, I "chunk" it; putting blonde "highlights" (chunks) where it's grey, and not touching the brown (dark) hair.



Now I've done a 'spot perm' to the bangs, and top...it's more porous, and takes a long time to dry.



I'm letting the bangs grow long, and for that reason, when they were straight, the poked me in the face.



How do people like Katie Korac %26amp; Diane Sawyer let their bangs grow long and SWAG over to the full length of their hair? It DRIVES ME NUTS---UNLESS I perm it.



Hairdressers can't seem to agree on this, so if there's someone out there who knows why they don't agree...or knows why there's the rule....I'd sure like to hear an UNOPINIONATED answer.



Is there a hard fast rule that says an older woman shouldn't get a perm on their hair %26amp; highlights too?

I color and highlight and I have pretty coarse hair myself. I had a perm that turned out beautiful and then I had a perm that was a disaster. I think it's all about how the stylist does it and if they watch their timing and apply the neutralizer correctly. As for me, I'm sticking with a large-barrel curling iron to give my hair some lift. It's just about shoulder length and layered and my bangs are just below the cheekbone. I use a styling mousse before I curl. If you want to always color, I suggest avoiding perms.



Is there a hard fast rule that says an older woman shouldn't get a perm on their hair %26amp; highlights too?

I would think as far as the color goes you should skip the chunky highlights and go with something more subtle and natural; it is more sophisticated- especially if you are not a teen or 20-something.



There are no rules to what YOU do with YOUR OWN hair!



Is there a hard fast rule that says an older woman shouldn't get a perm on their hair %26amp; highlights too?

Who cares what a hairdresser says! It's YOUR hair and if the highlights and perm work for you, go with it! I have light to medium brunette hair with LOTS of grey and I lighten mine with a golden blonde shade...the brunette is a few shades lighter than the natural color and the grey looks like salon highlights! I get tons of compliments! So I say, go with what works for YOU and pay no attention to what someone else may say!



Is there a hard fast rule that says an older woman shouldn't get a perm on their hair %26amp; highlights too?

There aren't any rules about a perm and highlights. Generally getting both a perm and coloring would make a real mess of a person's hair. But products are always improving - and a stylist who knows what they are doing can work wonders!



The women you mentioned - Diane and Katie have constant attention to their hair and overall look by a professional.



If I had hair that you are discribing I would be sure to use a lot of conditioners, comb a gel into my towel-dried hair and let my hair dry naturally afer combing it and tucking it behind my ears, or on even setting it on rollers, or putting it back in a hair band, barettes, etc. After fully dry (at least the front section or bangs) I would then brush it out. That should keep your hair in a "swag" for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment